Research Interest:Literature, gender studies, cultural studies, migration studies
Lecturer- Dept. of English Language and Literature, J.K.K.N.I.U. ( 2013-2014)
Dept. of English Language, Eastern University (2009-2013)
Assistant Professor- Dept. of English Language and Literature, J.K.K.N.I.U. (2014-2019)
Associate Professor- Dept. of English Language and Literature, J.K.K.N.I.U. (2019-present)
List of conducted courses:
1.Modern English Fiction
2.Introduction to Fiction
4.Gender and Literature
5.African and Caribbean Literature
6.Learning Photography through English
Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
Conferences, Seminars and symposiums:
2018-Paper titled “Screening the AsholPurush :TracingTropesofMasculinities in Bangladeshi Cinema” at a seminar hosted by Department of Film and Media Studies, JKKNIU.
2017- 1. Paper titled “Enquiring Masculinity: Masculinity as Negotiation in Clear Light of Day”presented at the conferenceRedrawing Gender Boundaries in Literary Terrains hosted by the Department of English and Humanities, BRAC University.
2. Paper titled “Jatra on Screen: A Cultural Reading of Masculinity and Nostalgia in Bangladeshi Folk Cinema” presented at the international symposium titledNew Directions in Humanities and Literary Studies: Perspectives and Prospects of Researchhosted by the Department of English Language and Literature, JKKNIU on 17th May 2017.
2012 –1. Paper presenter at the “Language, Literature
AndCultural Studies in the 21st Century:Translocating/Transgressing
Boundaries,” conference held on 25 and 26 May 2012 in the Department
of English, Jahangirnagar University. The
paper is titled “Boundaries within National Borders in Selim Al-
Deen’sBonopangshul and NgugiwaThiong’o’sPetals of Blood”
2. Paper titled “Race and Resistance in the Novels of Harishankar
Jaladas” presented at an international conference titled Narrativizing the
Margins : Northeast India and Beyond organized by the
Department of English, Assam University Diphu Campus from 4 to
6 January, 2012.
2011 –1. Paper titled “(Trans)forming nations and Female Subjectivity” presented at Inter Asia Cultural Studies Society (IACSS) conference Cultural Transformation: Development Initiatives and Social Movementson 17th and 18th December, hosted by BRAC University.
2. Paper presenter at ‘Thinking Otherwise’, organized by Department
of English, Jahangirnagar University, from 13-14 May, 2011
The paper is titled “The Dialectics of Liberation: The Socio-political Philosophy in Du Bois and Nazrul”
Workshop and short courses:
-Attended a workshop titled Transformations in the History of Photography by Christopher Pinney-, hosted by Pathshala, South Asian Media Institute, January, 2013.
-Attended a Language Teacher Training Program on “Innovation in Education & ELT” organized by ULAB, THT and BELTA on 14 and 15 September.
-Completed a five-day workshop (16-20 June) on “Interpretive Strategies in Social Science” at BRAC University, Conducted by Chua BengHuat, Chair-person, Department of Sociology and Cultural Studies, National University of Singapore.
– Participated in a workshop on “Postcolonised” conducted by SarmilaSen, Harvard University Press, organized by Jahangirnagar University
– Participated in a workshop on Research Methodology arranged by the Department of English, Eastern University.
– Participated in a Workshop on Faculty Development held organized by the Department of English, Eastern University.
– Completed Basic Course on Photography (Batch 90), Pathshala, South Asian Media Institute, Dhaka
-Participated in a workshop on Women Photography conducted by Isabelle Eshraghi, photojournalist, France, hosted by Pathshala, South Asian Media Institute.
– Participated in a workshop on translation skills conducted by poet-translator Dr. William Radice, senior Faculty of Language and Culture, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, hosted by Jahangirnagar University.
1. “From Villain to Hero: Masculinity and Political Aesthetics in the Films of Bangladeshi Action Star Joshim”, BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies (SAGE), Volume 9.1, 2018.
2. “Jatra on Screen: A Cultural Reading of Masculinity and Nostalgia in Bangladeshi Folk Film BederMeyeJosna”, Bangladesh Film Archive Journal, Volume 14, 2018.
3. “Heroes and Villains: Romance, Dominance and Violence in Bangladeshi Films of 1970s”, South Asian Cultural Studies, Special Issue, 2018. ISSN 1749-6764
4. “The Public and the Private: Negotiating Gender, Space and Class in BapsiSidhwa’sIce Candy Man”, Journal of Nazrul University, Volume 5:1&2, 2017. ISSN 2227-5940
5. “Boundaries within National Borders in Selim Al-Deen’sBonopangshul and NgugiwaThiong’o’sPetals of Blood”, BharatiyaPragna:An Interdisciplinary Journal of Indian Studies , 2016, (Co-authored with Sabrina Karim). ISSN 2456-1347
6. “Enquiring Masculinity: Masculinity as Negotiation in Anita Desai’s Clear Light of Day”, Journal of Nazrul University, (Forthcoming issue 7:1). ISSN 2227-5940
7. “Is Virginity Over-rated?: The Representations of Sexuality in Novels of Post Independent Bangladesh”, South Asian Cultural Studies, Volume 4:2, October 2013.
8. “Color Line: Race and Resistance in the Novels of HarishankarJaladas”, Chaos: IUB Studies in Language, Literature and Creative Writing, Volume 1:2, Spring 2013.
9. “Modernity and Epic: Revisiting Paradise Lost and MeghnādhbadhKābya”, Chaos: IUB Studies in Language, Literature and Creative Writing, Volume 1:1, Summer 2012. (Co-authored with Sabrina Karim)
10. “Dialectics of Liberation: The Socio-political Philosophy of Du Bois and Nazrul, Identity”, Culture & Politics: An Afro-Asian Dialogue. Volume 12:1, July 2011. pp. 77 – 90. (Co-authored with Sabrina BinteMasud)
2008Article by ShashwatiDewan and SyeedFerdous, “It is both ways danger; to be educated and not to be educated: education, racial domination and transformation”, Whither Policy Reforms in Education Lessons and Challenges, 2008. http://www.unnayan.org/reports/English_Education.pdf